Friday, November 8, 2013

Holiday traditions...

Howdy bloggers!  I just realized that since Lauren and Stef of Jingle Belles have so graciously allowed me to be their guest this week, I really should make a post about my card!  The idea I had suggested was family traditions around the holidays.  Here is my card:


The tradition I miss the most was when our family would gather at my grandparents' house after the Christmas Eve service to eat Grandma's homemade goodies and talk.  What great times those were!  That tradition mostly stopped after my grandfather died 23 years ago, but when my Dad passed away the day after Christmas almost 8 years ago, the tradition stopped completely.  My grandmother's heart just isn't in it anymore!  Sorry for the sad thoughts there, but I wanted to share that with you all.  

Anyway, my card features an image from Stamp Fairy called George Cocoa.  Isn't he just the cutest?      
I love making cards using George!  The dp is from a DCWV 12x12 stack called Mrs. Claus' Kitchen. I love that stack!  I tried to color my image to match the colors in the dp, and used kraft as my base.  The image and dp piece are matted on a dark red card stock, and then I distressed the edges with Frayed Burlap.  A tiny sentiment from Studio G and some green bling finished it off.

I hope I didn't upset anyone too much with my kinda sad story today!  If I did, I apologize.   I hope that won't stop you from checking out the wonderful cards and traditions over at Jingle Belles this week!  Thanks for stopping by!  

~Marie~


6 comments:

  1. This is so cute Marie, love the sweet image and clean style of your card... we too used to meet up at my parent's house for Christmas, and I miss it too ... but things have to change unfortunately !

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i truly am sorry that your lovely tradition has ceased... at least for the moment; but i *LOVE* that you have such fond memories of the many years in which it was celebrated, and i hope that some day you will revive it again with your own grandchildren!!!

    meanwhile, i *LOVE* your gorgeous card; that g-bread man, george, really is a handsome devil!!! and tasty, too! ;)

    thanks for thinking up such a great prompt for us at JINGLE BELLES and for being our lovely guest star this fortnight!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the guest spot, Marie! Your card is so warm and adorable! It is sad that your happy tradition is no more, but really if you forget that part, and just concentrate on what WAS, it's no longer sad because the times that DID happen were very happy family traditions! Some folks don't even have them at all, so you were very blessed while they lasted! And in the present time I'm sure you are creating your own happy traditions! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is so adorable. I do love a snowman. I'm sorry your tradition is over. It does sound as if you have some wonderful memories to cherish, though. And, you'll be able to make more in time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi marie, thank you for this prompt. since my son passed away four years ago, we have a scaled down version of christmas. as happy as some memories are to recall, they're often countered with sadness so it's just less stressful to do things differently. your prompt is a gentle reminder that not everyone feels like it's the most wonderful time of the year.
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an adorable image and such a sad story, Marie. After my Mom passed, I tried to keep on with some of the traditions. It was hard without Mom, but I felt her presence with us during those times. Cherish the memories.

    ReplyDelete

ABC CHRISTMAS -- E IS FOR EMBOSSING, F IS FOR FAUX, G IS FOR GINGERBREAD

 Hello crafty friends!  I'm dropping by really quickly to share what I created for this month's ABC Christmas challenge , which is ...